Friday, September 8, 2006

Pursuing God, nothing more, nothing less

Tonight I was reading the best of A.W. Tozer, one my roomates books. I was reading a short chapter called "God must be loved for himself." One of the paragraphs in there hit home for me, so I'll share it. Tozer writes, "Whoever seeks God as a means toward desired ends will not find God. The mighty God, the maker of heaven and earth, will not be one of many treasures, not even the chief of all treasures. He will be all in all or He will be nothing. God will not be used. His mercy and grace are infinite and His patient understanding is beyond measure, but He will not aid men in their selfish striving after personal gain. He will not help men to attain ends which, when attained, usurp the place He by every right should hold in their interest and affection." Later in the chapter, Tozer writes, "If we love God as much as we should, surely we cannot dream of a loved object beyond Him, which He might help us to obtain." These are exciting words for me tonight. It seems to me that if I spent more time actually seeking the heart of God, and less time complaining, wondering, being anxious about things God is clearly sovereign over, I can only imagine how things might change. Another great thought I read recently is by Francis Schaeffer who says, "God is there. Not in here, defined and shaped by my own desires. God is out there. Objective. Absolute reality. All that looks like reality to us is dependent on God. There is a creation and creator, nothing more. And creation gets all its meaning and purpose from God." Those words pierce where I'm at right now, and what I need to hear. They are truths that we can never get past, because as basic as they seem, how can we ever fully get our minds around them. I may be familiar with them, but familiarity doesn't produce deep seeded faith. Only God can produce in me the childlike faith that He desires to put in us. I would write more about these things, but I could not do any justice to the words of Tozer and Schaeffer. It's also getting late, and my roomate is snoring some. So, that's my cue for bed. Also, if anyone has skype, I just got a webcam... so we can chat it up with video for FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment