Sunday, November 19, 2006

Weekends in Boone and things I've been learning

This weekend has epitimized a classic weekend in Boone for me, and I will definitely miss weekends like this next year after I graduate I think. This morning I slept in a bit, then went to Espresso News with Craven and did some reading out of More than a Carpenter. I've come to enjoy reading and getting coffee at Espresso News more this year than I have in past years. I think part of the reason is because I realized how close it is to the Comm. bulding... but besides that, their coffee, and atmosphere really is better than any other coffee shop in Boone in my opinion. This afternoon I went over to Foster's to watch the Michigan vs. Ohio State game. I decided to pull for Michigan a few minutes before the game, but even though they lost, it was an amazing game that did not dissapoint in light of all the hype around it. Well, tomorrow I'm headed to Banner Elk Christian Fellowship for the first time in probably a month. I've only been there a handful of times this semester because I've been out of town so much on the weekends... whether doing stuff with Crusade, or running half-marathons, or visiting family. But, the Lord has been teaching me a lot recently through a number of different ways about the importance of community in the Christian life(one of which was the recent Boundless article on Christian webcasting, another was a passage out of the book "Serious Times" by the President of Gordon-Conwell, and finally Reggie in his talk at Crusade Thursday when he talked about having a critical spirit). So much of my college career has been me trying to 'work out' my walk with the Lord on my own, in the sense that things that supplement, whether books, or articles, or even podcasts/sermons... those things unfortunately can become the things I rely on most in my walk. And as a result, I think I have begun to see church (or the message on Sundays) in a sense, as merely a supplement to my faith, rather than a foundation for it, and a place, or community to pour myself in to. A verse that has come to mind recently is Galations 6:6, which says, "One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches." This command implies a response from me towards those who teach, whether on a Sunday morning or Thursday night. And it makes perfect sense, because then we start building a foundation for growth. If I am just consuming, consuming, consuming, truth becomes knowledge, and growth becomes stagnent. So often, I do neglect that response, and am not kept accountable for truths I am being taught... and I like the word accountable there, because we should be held accountable for biblical truth we learn, because scripture does hold utmost authority in our lives, and also because we should be sharing what we learn with those around us. But, just imagine the type of affect it would have in our lives, and in our communities if we started taking Galations 6:6 seriously. Things left unsaid would start being shared. Apathy could be replaced with action... and even awkwardness at church, with sincere care for others. I guess what I'm trying to say is, when my life becomes privatized, individualized, independent of the church, and divorced from authentic relationships that is when I am most prone to falter in a number of different ways. When I don't feel like going to church because I'm feeling ashamed, or guilty, or even apathetic, that is the time I should go, because I need the sharpening and encouragment of fellow believers, as opposed to turning on my ipod and listening to the latest sermon, by the most renowned pastor. In doing that I forget the God has placed me in a wonderful fellowship, for a greater purpose, with ordained leadership, in order to grow closer to Him and impact those around us for Himself through the church.

1 comment:

  1. good stuff beahmy...i'm glad your learning and growing...i'm encouraged by your blog...anywho, just wanted to let you know i'm reading your site and wanted to say, keep up the writing...i'll look forward to seeing your face real soon...

    ReplyDelete