Saturday, January 24, 2009

Honeymoon in Rivieria Maya, Mexico

I thought I would go ahead and put a post up about the honeymoon for anyone that hasn't heard from us directly about how amazing it was. I've edited an email for the blog that I sent to our AAA travel agent who helped me plan the trip that summarizes our experience at El Dorado Royale in Riveria Maya, Mexico... Special thanks to my brother (as well as other travelers via www.tripadvisor.com) who helped me sort through the ridiculous amount of Honeymoon options out there, and helped me select a good one!

El Dorado Royale was wonderful. The resort is gourmet inclusive, so the food was delicious. No buffets that sit out in the sun and go bad... all food is made to order. 7+ different restaurants on the property including fondue, oriental, italian, mexican, and others. Each with 4 course options from soups, to salads, appetizers, entrees, desserts etc... that were all very unique, and very tasty. My wife and I felt like we were at 4-5 star American restaurants wherever we ate. We found ourselves talking about how great the food was more than anything else I think.


Second, the service at the resort really made the trip for us. All of the employees, from servers, to maids, to entertainment staff always had a smile on their face, and were very approachable. Sometimes they would just stop us to ask us about our trip, where we were from, etc... One morning, we were the only couple wanting to play Bocci, so two staff members from the resort were nice enough to play us... although we won in a landslide.

Finally, the resort itself was beautiful. Very well-kept, and no major issues with the room or anything. They had swim-up bars which were really cool. Lynn is not a big fan of mixed drinks... but I usually brought her a margarita anyways since it was all-inclusive, and ended up drinking mine and the rest of hers.

On the way down to Cancun we got bumped up to first class for free thanks to my wife's charm and a really cool steward on the plane. Definitely recommend this place to honeymooners to Cancun in the future. We loved it so much we actually never left the resort (partly because we were on a budget), but also because we just didn't see the need to. The only thing we paid extra for was jet skis for an afternoon because we both had always wanted to try it out.

Lynn and I have both talked about wanting to go back for an anniversary. We would definitely recommend it for anniversary and honeymoon trips... or just a very relaxing vacation!








-MAB

1 comment:

  1. Would love to hear more about this place!! Maybe Alan and I will go ;)

    ReplyDelete