Sunday, September 13, 2009

The making of the cornhole set

This past week I had off between projects at work, so I decided to make good use of my time and build a cornhole set. I finally have the space required for this kind of project, so it just took acquiring the right tools and materials for the project. I found some thorough instructions at www.cornholehowto.com, which I used as a guide for the project, and put to use the skills I acquired from building floors at Dutch Barns. Lynn encouraged me to take pics along the way, so I posted them for you all to see step-by-step how I built it.

Doing some preliminary planning on Labor Day night

After acquiring a jigsaw from the Avera's, buying a drill and the 2 x4's from Lowes, and the plywood from the Flemings, I cut wood for the cornhole base. It was a bit tricky cutting out the 2x4's with a jigsaw, but it turned out well.

The finished cornhole bases with everything but the legs (seen on the sides). Just used basic wood screws to drill the 2x4's together and the plywood down on top.

Cutting the legs was tricky as I had t0 cut a 99 degree angle on the bottom with the jigsaw, then round the tops so the leg can rotate. Just used a carriage bolt to attach the legs to the base.

Cutting the actual hole in the base was tough (because I didn't want to mess it up after coming this far), but having a jigsaw certainly made it easier!

After cutting the hole and adding the legs to the base, it was time to paint. I primed the board, then added the black paint on top in the design I had chosen. It eventually turned in to an "A" after Lynn's recommendation for Appalachian as you can see below!

The finished cornhole boards! Now for the bags...

Lynn at the Avera's on Saturday making the canvas bags with Rhea's sewing machine.

It may have been her first attempt, but as you can see they were flawless!

The dried corn kernals for the filling of the cornhole bags. I only needed 8 lb's of dried corn feed for the bags (l lb per bag), but the feed store only sold it in a 50 lb. bag. We have a lot of dried corn feed leftover in our garage if anyone wants some.

The 8 finished black and gold cornbags

Trying out the finished cornhole set! Can't wait to take it tailgaiting up in Boone, and bring it to Beahm family gatherings!

- MB

2 comments:

  1. AHHH-MAZING! You are the man, Michael. Those look so good. Mike wants to make UNC boards...so you might need to give him a few pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think that all of your carpentry skills began with your Eagle project!

    ReplyDelete