Monday, December 7, 2009

Grandma's Tradition

It's hard to believe all of my grandparents have been gone now for over 5 years. I still miss each of them so much. Pop Pop, Nanny, Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandma Ruggieri passed away in October of 2002 but has left behind so many fond memories and traditions. One of the things I loved about Grandma was her passion and knack for cooking. She made the best of anything she touched: pasta, meatballs, stuffing, eggplant parmesan, cheesecake, pizza, bread, Italian cookies and much, much more. I think that is where I get it from, and my Mom, too. And oh, did Grandma adore her family. She lived for her family, something that was evident in every thing she did. I've tried so hard to implement those two things together, which Grandma was a perfectionist at.

For our wedding, my sweet Aunt Laura (Grandma's oldest) gave Michael and I a pizzelle maker. Pizzelles are a unique Italian cookie made with anise seeds- a very unique taste but familiar to any true Italian. I finally broke it out on Sunday and made my very first batch of pizzelles, Grandma's speciality. As soon as the batter was finished, I smelled Grandma and a rush of memories waved over me. Memories of our time in New Jersey, her taking care of us while Mom and Dad were out, our time playing with their antiques in their basement, cooking and baking with Grandma, and the many containers of cookies they would bring on their trips to see us in North Carolina.

So here is a look at my first shot at pizzelles, with a twist of me on them: drizzled chocolate.
Michael called this my "Mess-terpiece" :)

Oh how I miss you, Grandma. I wish you were here to do these with me.

4 comments:

  1. I love this and I love traditions so much. You are going to be the best mom one day...I can't wait to see it. those look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet...and touching. It brought tears to my eyes as I read it. You know how much I love family traditions, as well. You are a blessing to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lynn, what wonderful memories. Your Grandma's pizelles were my first taste of them. So good. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Lynn! Brought back some awesome memories and think about them all often as well. Pizelles...mmm those look great. Kerry picked up some this week- we need to make sometime as well. Love ya

    ReplyDelete