Sunday, July 2, 2006

World Cup Semi-Finals


Tomorrow at 2:55, US Eastern time, World Cup host Germany will play Italy in the Semi Finals of World Cup Germany 2006. We will find out if the host country can pull off another amazing victory, after Friday's penalty kicks win against Argentina (who I was pulling for to go all the way), against this year's solid Italian team. The Italians took care of a difficult first round group that consisted of the United States, Ghana, and the Czech Republic. Deep down, I'd like to see the Italians be victorious this year, only because the American squad gave them their toughest match yet (1-1 tie) in the qualifying round, so that makes the U.S. team look good. I think the Italians will ultimately be defeteated by a scrappy German home team though. The home team has done well in my lifetime of World Cups. For example, France won the tournament in 1998 when it was played on their home pitch, and then South Korea made an amazing run in 2002 when it was played on their home turf if I recall correctly (however, my blog is by no means ESPN.com). This year has been an exciting World Cup, even though I was in China for the first 3 weeks of it, where the games came on at 11 p.m., and 3 a.m.. Tonight I'm in Apex, hanging out with my brother and Melissa, getting ready to drive to Raleigh to spend the night with my sister Lisa and Josiah. My brother and I are going to spend Indepence Day morning hitting some golf balls on the Driving Range, before I head back to Greensboro in the afternoon. Two of the coolest people I know, Turner Krebs, and Hannah Page are coming back to Greensboro this week.. so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them. Alright, I'm out.. hope everyone has a great night.. and support soccer in the U.S. by watching the World Cup tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment