Saturday, March 14, 2009

God's Ways Are Not Our Ways

I was reminded of this when reading my Experiencing God Day-by-Day devotional a few days ago...I wanted to share this with everyone because especially at times like this it is hard to keep our focus on God's sovereign power. Here it is:


"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.''
-Isaiah 55:8-9

Rarely does God do something exactly as we think He will. Our problem is that we try to second-guess God, saying, “Oh, now I know what God is planning to do!” Moses experienced this as he learned how God was going to deliver the Hebrews out of Egypt. God told him He would harden Pharaoh’s heart. Yet, the result was not what Moses anticipated. Rather than allowing the Hebrews to leave, Pharaoh increased their hardship. Rather than becoming a hero among the Hebrews, Moses was despised by them for bringing greater suffering. Moses returned to the Lord and asked, “Lord, why have You brought trouble on this people? Why is it You have sent me?”(Exod. 5:22). Much of the frustration we experience as Christians has nothing to do with what God does or doesn’t do. It has everything to do, rather, with the false assumptions we make about how we think God will and should act.

Have you ever done the will of God and then things seemed to become worse? Moses completely misunderstood what the results of His obedience to God would be. When things did not turn out as he anticipated, Moses became discouraged. God had told Moses what to do, but He had not told Moses what the consequences would be.

It is foolish to attempt to do God’s work using your own “common sense.” God does not eliminate your common sense, He consecrates it. He gives you His wisdom so you can understand His ways.

As you look back on God’s activity in your life, you will recognize the supreme wisdom in how He has led you. As you look forward to what God may do, be careful you do not try to predict what He will do next. You may find yourself completely off the mark.


~Henry Blackaby and Richard Blackaby's devotional truly touches my heart everyday. It is one of my two favorites, along with the classic My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. If you are desiring a closer relationship with our Lord check these out!

-LMB

1 comment:

  1. And here I was thinking no one reads our blog!!! Sorry Lynnie & Michael! Terry already got mad at me for posting on the blog too, oops! I really thought no one read it other than Becky & my sister :) Remember, our ways are not the Lord's ways - he probably wanted you to find out on the blog :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete