Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Twas the night before Madness

My friend Tim told me that the opening day of the NCAA tournament was better than Christmas morning for him. I love Christmas morning, so therefore I can't say I am as excited about tomorrow as being with family on Christmas morning, sharing gifts, eating egg/cheese cassarole, etc... but I will say I am excited for this basketball filled few weeks. I think I would compare the NCAA tournament more to that last round of fireworks on the 4th July. I mean, the regular season has been great, just as a fireworks show always is. But it isn't until the finale, that last round of fireworks all in a row that makes you go "Wow!" That is pretty much the way I feel about these first and second rounds. Call me a basketball nerd... but at least my wife feels the same way! :)

I am predicting a lot of upsets this year. This year had numerous different #1's. From UNC, to UCONN, to PITT, to Wake, to Duke even... no team clinging to that top spot for long. So it is really wide open this year. Last year all the #1's made it, but this year I don't think it will be that way. I think there are too many good teams sitting there in the middle that can get hot, and a handful of teams at the top that are all worthy of that one shining moment. And that's the madness of it all.

Good luck to all this year's competitors in the annual Beahm family Bracket! Last year's winner was Dad, thanks to a KU National Championship! Will he repeat, or will a new champion arise? Perhaps even a new Beahm will be crowned champion? (watch out, she knows her college basketball!)

Enjoy the tournament everyone... and GO HEELS!

- MB

2 comments:

  1. you guys need to move somewhere warm after boston! hey waco is warm! and we are in desperate need of counselors! what a coincident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy! It is so true and we definitely feel the same way in this household! I think we've all been shocked to see the upsets that have occurred... Scott called some of them, but not enough! Let's just hope Carolina keeps holding on! Btw, you guys definitely need to come back to basketball country soon! :)

    ReplyDelete