Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gobble, Gobble

This Thursday will mark the 3rd year in a row that Lynn and I will have run together in the Greensboro Gobbler. It is a race that we always look forward to running in, and will continue to do as long as we spend Thanksgiving in Greensboro. There always seems to be some excitement come race day (which I will explain), so I'm looking forward to this year's race.

2007 - 2 months prior to Lynn and I getting engaged, still trying to make a good impression on Lynn... I decide to keep pace with her. First lap going well... second lap, Joe Ruggieri decides to start running with us (mind you he isn't registered in the race, he and Kerry were simply cheering us on). He ended up running 1.5 miles with us in his crocs. At the end of the race Lynn starts sprinting with at least 1/4 mile to go... definitely wasn't ready for that and felt the consequences after the race of making sure I finished in front of her!

2008 - Convinced my brother Chris to run the Gobbler with us. Did some pre-race training with him in Greensboro a few weekends prior. Chris had surgery the week before the race, which definitely threw a wrench in his training regiment. It was great to add a Beahm to the tradition, and run with him though! Lynn and I both beat our times from the year prior... I think because we both had been exercising a lot to get in to wedding shape.

2009 - The additions of Jenny and Mike Ruggieri will make for a fun Gobbler this year. Going to try to keep pace with Mike, but he has experience on The Bear run up Grandfather mtn., so not making any promises.

Ultimately the Gobbler run is only a means to the end, as running usually is to me. The end being the post-race starbucks trip, and a big appetite and guilt-free conscience as I enjoy all the delicious Thanksgiving fixins of the day!

Looking forward to seeing some of the usual faces out there! Gobble, Gobble.

1 comment:

  1. Um....should be a fun year indeed. I am now looking forward to that Starbucks trip. However...I can guarantee you that I will NOT be keeping up with the Beahms. I will be having a little party of my own in the back of the pack! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete